The Women of SVC2UK
In the article in The Wall Street Journal last week, Facebook’s chief operating officer and author of the bestselling Lean In, Sheryl Sandberg once again brought everyone’s attention to the fact that ‘at the current pace of progress, we are more than 100 years away from gender equality in the C-suite‘. Launching the 2015 Women In The Workplace study, she draws on the key barriers to women’s equality in the workplace and what needs to be done to address the issue.
At SVC2UK we are are proud to have many fantastic women among our speakers and mentors who are true inspirations. Here are a few facts about our fabulous women speakers including Catherine Mohr, Corinne Vigreux, Crystal Hutter and Hillary Mickell.
Vice President of Medical Research, Intuitive Surgical
- Born and bred in Dunedin, New Zealand, Catherine never thought of becoming a scientist
- As a teenager she found her calling while working as a bike mechanic. Shortly after she found herself building (and racing!) electric cars Catherine is now the Vice President of Medical Research at Sunnyvale-based Intuitive Surgical, the makers of a surgical robot called da Vinci Intuitive. The da Vinci® Surgical System features a 3D HD vision system for a clear and magnified view inside the patient’s body
- She is also a TED and Singularity University speaker
- Even with the successes and expertise gained over the years, Catherine is a believer in being a beginner at something, so she took up playing the cello 3 years ago while cultivating her love for cooking
- Having studied physics and maths at school, Corinne went to Paris business school and then lived in Berlin and London
- Starting her career at a French games firm, she joined Psion in the UK, a FTSE 100 giant and technology powerhouse at the time.
- Corinne co-founded TomTom with her husband Harold Goddijn.
- Corinne has been the Managing Director of Tom Tom’s Consumer Business Unit since 2008
- In addition to being on the Board of the French Chamber of Commerce and Industry in the Netherlands and a member of the Conseil de Coopération Franco-Néerlandais, Corinne is also on the advisory board of the Amsterdam Grachtenfestival and the Dutch National Opera & Ballet
- She is an active supporter of women in leadership and in 2012 she received a Knight of the Legion of Honour for her business success and social commitment
- Crystal previously worked as a senior engineer at Oracle Corporation where she provided technical consulting for Oracle’s North American government, education, and healthcare groups.
- Crystal’s company Edmodo raised $25 million just months after its $15 million series B round led by Greylock Partners’ Reid Hoffman and Benchmark Capital’s Matt Cohler. To date Edmodo has raised $47.5 million
- She has an MBA from Columbia Business School.
Co-Founder and Chief Marketing Officer, Foodily
- In business Hillary is a strong believer of brand power, she stays close to the customer and ignores shiny objects. For her ‘less is more’: she believes that is the way to a successful business
- Hillary LOVES what she does. ‘If you are not passionate about it, do not do it’ she says
- Hillary was on the Microsoft Visual Basic 1.0 launch team
- She is passionate about the development work she does in Haiti with Hope Haiti
- Her 14 year old daughter has accompanied her on her last 3 trips there
- Hillary holds a BA in Political Science and Philosophy from Boston University.
To see SVC2UK’s previous discussion on the subject, watch this video from Women In Tech event that we held at Imperial last year. We were absolutely thrilled to have Megan Smith, the USA Chief Technology Officer, among our speakers:
Join us at SVC2UK events this year.
Find out more here!