The SVC2UK 2014 Annual Summit took place in Cambridge London and Manchester on 19, 20 and 21 November 2014 engaging with leading tech entrepreneurs that brought together with CEOs of high growth companies and university students to discuss and debate how the world will look in the next 20 years and what needs to be done to support more scaling companies in the UK.
Programme of events
Cambridge and London
Wednesday 19 November
- “The world in 2034”. Margaret Gould-Stewart, Catherine Mohr, David Hornik and Craig Nevill-Manning shared insights and thoughts on the most disruptive technologies that will transform our lives in the next 20 years.
- Welcome Dinner for entrepreneurs, investors and academics from the wider Cambridge community. [By invitation only]
Thursday 20 November
- Four Masterclass sessions on “Raising Finance”, “Scaling a Business”, “Ed-tech” and “The next big opportunity” ran at the McGrath Centre, St. Caterine’s College to inspire University students to consider becoming entrepreneurs themselves; and share insights and best practice from entrepreneurs who have created and scaled companies; Mohshen Moazami, David Hornik, Liz Dickinson, Michael Shepherd, Angela Lin, Crystal Hutter, John Katzman, and Craig Nevill-Manning gave advice and answered the audience’s questions in a lively discussion.
- Roundtable Discussion on Ed-tech with Cambridge University Press
- Women in Tech: Lessons from Silicon Valley. Though Leadership event in partnership with the Guardian and Imperial College, London. Leading female entrepreneurs shared insights, experiences and advice for scaling a business.
- Appathon Reception: Celebrating Education and Entrepreneurship. Winners of the Appathon competition were invited to a special ceremony at the House of Commons, hosted by the Rt Hon John Bercow MP to receive their awards and find out who won the grand prize of a tour of tech giants in Silicon Valley. Congratulations to the Smart Wardrobe and Smart Wear teams.
- “Scale-up” dinner for high growth companies. [By invitation only]
Friday 21 November
- CEO Summit – The CEO Summit is SVC2UK’s flagship event, with leading Silicon Valley and UK entrepreneurs from global companies Facebook, Google, Edmodo, Noodle Education, Intuitive Surgical, MIO and August Capital – offering their time as mentors in small workshops to help CEOs who are scaling companies to address their current barriers to scale.
- Startup Europe Partnership (SEP) Matching Event for startups to meet with heads of procurement of large corporates
- Solve For X – A workshop with engineering students to encourage big thinking and solving big problems led by Jack Hidary, and Catherine Mohr. The subjects explored were:
– “In-orbit satellite calibration: understanding climate change faster so we can act earlier”
– “Hydrogen Fuel Cells powered by Ammonia”
– “Microbubbles for targeted cancer therapy”
- Serial Entrepreneurs Dinner for serial entrepreneurs from the US and Europe. at Mansion House, hosted by the Lord Mayor, Rt Hon Alan Yarrow.